Thursday, December 8, 2011

Gel battery for my Toro pro - force Blower

 I have had this ongoing problem of acid leaking out of the battery since new, rotting the cable ends off ( replaced them 3 times in 2 years ) and ruining the paint on the battery box . Mid season the battery has to be topped up because of the acid spillage . Our course is very hilly and bumpy . The battery is not overcharging , the spilling is coming from being shook around out on the course . The blower is 2 years old and looks mint except for the battery area .
I did some research and found the best option for this machine would be to get a gel style battery ( sealed ). the trade of is it cost double the price of the regular battery . After getting the supers approval I ordered one in . Scraped and repainted it today , hopefully for the last time . Now I won't have to look at puddles of acid under this machine any more . The old battery will be great as a jump battery or reuse it for our  loader . I also removed the original battery casing that surrounded it .

11 comments:

  1. Hey Bob, I work at Granite Springs and am having a problem with our ProForce. All functions for the remote control work except for the throttle up and down. I'm waiting to hear back from Kohler and Toro on this but I was just wondering if you have ever heard of this problem? I've done all the tests to check electrical issues, even replaced the GCU and DLA with no results. Any thoughts?
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the controller lights come on when trying to use it then it may be a bad connection at control box by the battery on machine . The down load on line shows that the red /yellow wire controls the throttle response . If you can check for continuity on this wire to verify that the wire is good . Also check the green and gray wire coming off one of the relays I think completes the engine speed circuit . You can find the PDF files on Toro site for your machine for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've checked with the wiring diagrams but they aren't exact to my blower. There's a couple circuits they show that aren't on mine and a couple of the wire colors don't jive either. I checked what I could to no avail, I'll let you know the outcome whether I figure it out or if I have to send it to Veseys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok thanks . I know you can get your model # on line . I download my 2014 models

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had given up after doing pretty much every resistance and voltage test I could, putting it all back together and sending it off to Veseys. I started it one last time just for fun when the other mech. came over and tapped the receiver box on the blower while I was working the remote and it worked for a second. Roughly $2000 for a new box and remote, the umbilical controller is cheaper. Just waiting on a price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if there is a ground wire on that box ? Technology can get pretty ecpensive .

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ground as far as I can see is through the plug in connection, I checked all grounds through the harness itself. I can hear relays clicking inside that box, I'm guessing they are not making a good connection. I took the box off and although there's screws in the back, it's a sealed unit. The back cover seems to be glued on and I don't want to mess with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To bad . There not made to come apart .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this saves some frustration for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After sending my blower to Veseys, I have it back good as new. The culprit was the ignition coils. They send a rate of fire signal to the computer to determine the speed, they were sending sporadic signals, so the computer didn't know how fast the engine was turning.

    ReplyDelete